When you lose a loved one in an accident, we know that it can be devastating. In the aftermath of such a tragic event, you may be left wondering what your options are, especially if the death was due to the negligence of another person or company.
Wrongful death cases happen each day across the country. Many times they are unintentional but still caused by the careless behavior of others. Sometimes they are caused by intentional acts. Regardless of how they happen, the person or people responsible need to be held accountable for their actions.
When you need a Washington County wrongful death attorney, you can count on the SMA Law Group to be by your side, working to secure the compensation your family deserves.
What Does It Look Like?
Wrongful death cases arise when someone is killed as a result of wrongful or careless (negligent) acts of another person, company, agency, etc. These cases can become complex because it must be proved that another person’s actions led to the death. We want to go over some of the most common ways that these cases arise.
- Vehicle accidents – there are over 30,000 fatal motor vehicle accidents annually in the US. While not all of these are caused by negligence, we often see people killed as a result of speeding, reckless driving, drunk drivers, distracted drivers, and inadequately maintained roadways. These can also include accidents with large commercial trucks and buses.
- Medical errors – these are the now the third leading cause of death in the US, killing up to 440,000 people annually according to some statistics.
- Faulty products – a quick look at the government website that tracks current recalls shows us that millions of people are affected by defective products. These can include things we use like vehicles, cosmetics, and appliances as well as things we consume like foods, beverages, and medications.
- Workplace accidents –workplace accidents are common and can take the form of people using tools incorrectly, vehicle accidents, falls, and more. Employers can play a role in these deaths by not providing proper safety training or failing to provide employees with proper safety gear.
These are just a few ways that we see wrongful death cases show up, but there are many more.
What Are Your Options
We know that the last thing you want to be dealing with is having to investigate why your loved one was killed. If you suspect their death was due to the negligence of another individual, company, or entity, the SMA Law Group is ready to help. We will investigate your case and work towards a resolution that can bring you some closure.
Our team will work to secure compensation for:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Court fees and legal costs
- Pain and suffering damages
- Punitive damages against the responsible party