We should have peace of mind knowing that our loved one is safe when they are in a nursing home facility. Unfortunately, there are times when the careless or negligent actions of the nursing home staff cause serious injuries, or even death, to residents. At the SMT Legal, we are going to be by your side through this. Let us investigate what happened so we can secure the compensation and closure you are entitled to. Call us today when you need a nursing home attorney.
A violation of rights and trust
Nursing home abuse and neglect are vastly underreported in the US. There are approximately 15,600 nursing homes in the US, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). This number is expected to continue to rise for decades. We should be able to trust nursing home facilities and staff with the care of elderly loved ones.
However, elder abuse happens regularly. The CDC defines elder abuse as “an act or failure to act that causes or creates a risk of harm to an older adult.”
What does nursing home abuse look like?
There are various types of abuse that nursing home residents can face. This includes:
- Physical abuse, which includes anything that intentionally causes pain for a nursing home resident. Common types of physical abuse include slapping, punching, shoving, pushing, burning, or other actions.
- Sexual abuse is a form of physical abuse that includes sexual contact of any kind between a nursing home resident and staff or volunteers.
- Emotional or psychological abuse can be both verbal or non-verbal. This type of abuse is meant to inflict distress and anxiety in a nursing home resident and can take the form of property destruction, name-calling, intimidation, and isolation.
- Neglect happens when nursing home staff fails to provide a resident with their basic needs, such as food, water, hygiene, clothing, and medical care.
- Failure to call emergency services is a major problem for nursing homes afraid to tarnish their reputation or alert regulators to their actions. Nursing home staff should always call emergency services immediately, or they risk causing further injuries to the resident.
- Financial abuse can occur when a nursing home or staff members abuse their access to a resident’s personal financial information to steal from the resident.
We are going to help your loved one
If someone you love has been injured or become ill due to the negligent or careless actions of a nursing home, please seek legal assistance immediately. At the SMT Legal, we are ready to step in and help you through this. Our approach is two-fold: to ensure your loved one is taken care of and to secure compensation for what has happened. This can include:
- Coverage for medical expenses related to the abuse or neglect
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Relocation expenses if necessary
- Punitive damages against those responsible