Bus accidents can lead to devastating injuries for passengers as well as those struck by the bus. At SMT Legal, we are ready to step in and help if you or a loved one have been injured due to the negligence or carelessness of a bus driver or company. We will thoroughly investigate your crash and work to secure the compensation you deserve. Call us when you need a Washington County bus accident attorney.
Bus accidents are devastating for victims
Buses are everywhere in and around Washington County. Not only are there thousands of school buses, but there are also many public and private transport operations, including Freedom Transit. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) says that both school and inter-city buses are regularly involved in crashes. The total number of bus crash fatalities in the US for the latest reporting year was 232, and many thousands of others were injured.
Bus accident injuries can be severe. Passengers are rarely restrained, including school bus passengers. An accident can cause passengers to catapult around the inside of the vehicle. Those struck by a bus face an impact with tens of thousands of pounds slamming into them. Our Washington County bus accident lawyers regularly see the following after a crash:
- Broken and dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
How do bus accidents happen?
There are several causes of bus accidents. Particularly concerning are cases in which the negligence of a bus driver or bus company/agency causes the crash.
- Bus drivers have a duty to be properly licensed and trained for each vehicle they operate. They should never drive while distracted by their phones, while impaired by alcohol or drugs, or while fatigued.
- Bus companies and agencies, whether private or government, have a duty to ensure each vehicle is regularly inspected and maintained. They should also take time to ensure each driver is qualified for the job and trained to operate each vehicle.
A bus accident victim is often left facing aggressive insurance carriers and legal teams who will work to lower any settlement they have to pay. Your attorney will work to gather all evidence necessary to prove the defendant’s liability.
Let us help you get compensation
If you or someone you love has been injured in a bus crash caused by the careless or negligent actions of a bus driver or company, seek legal assistance immediately. At SMT Legal, we are going to investigate the incident and work to secure the compensation you truly deserve. This can include:
- Coverage of your medical bills
- Compensation for lost income if you cannot work
- Mental anguish damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against the driver or company