On any given year there are approximately 850,000 licensed motorcyclists in Pennsylvania and close to 400,000 registered motorcycles. This may explain recent data that shows there were over 3,000 motorcycle accidents and 180 motorcycle fatalities in one year on Pennsylvania roads. Venango County saw its fair share of those motorcycle accidents and resulting injuries.
Our Motorcycle accident attorneys know that motorcyclists face potential dangers that are unique to motorcycles every time they hit the road. For example, loose gravel and debris in the road that would not affect a regular passenger vehicle may result in a serious motorcycle accident. Motorcyclists also know that they have to drive defensively because all too often, regular passenger vehicles simply do not notice motorcycles on the road and drive as if they are not there.
Common causes of motorcycle accidents
Motorcyclists are almost three times as likely to die in an accident than any other type of motor vehicle occupant. Common causes of motorcycle accidents include the following:
- Automobiles that sideswipe motorcyclists as they move into lanes already occupied by the motorcyclists. Often drivers claim that they did not see the motorcycles, especially drivers of big commercial vehicles that have large blind spots and limited visibility.
- Road dangers such as potholes, cracked and crumbling pavement, and unexpected obstructions in the road.
- Drivers that fail to yield to motorcyclists who have the right away often due to inattention or other distractions.
- Drivers that fail to follow traffic signs and signals resulting in accidents. This often happens with rolling stops or late attempts to make a yellow light.
- Drivers who follow motorcycles too closely create an especially perilous situation because rear ending a motorcycle is not like rear ending a regular passenger vehicle. Rear end injuries may turn out to be serious and devastating for motorcyclists in some cases.
Motorcycle accidents resulting in fatal injuries are hard for Venango County motorcycle attorneys and they know those cases are even harder for the deceased’s family members. Our compassionate attorneys represent family members who have lost loved ones in motorcycle accidents making sure to respect families’ grief and recovery process while working on their cases. When someone’s negligence causes a fatal motorcycle accident, they should be held accountable and family members should be compensated for what they have been put through in losing their loved one.
Insurance companies responsible for paying claims can be challenging to negotiate with, especially when it comes to motorcycle accidents. It often seems as though they have predisposed opinions and conclusions that motorcycles are automatically at fault or at least partially at fault when they are involved in accidents, even when the evidence clearly demonstrates otherwise. When insurance companies are being unreasonable, our attorneys at SMT Legal will call their bluff and try these cases in court to see that injured parties receive the compensation that they deserve.