The sudden loss of a loved one is devastating and often too painful for words, especially when that loss was caused by someone else’s wrongful conduct. Our skilled wrongful death lawyers understand the emotional despair that loved ones feel after death because we have helped many clients as they try to cope and rebuild after suffering a terrible loss. As emotionally difficult as wrongful death cases are, our attorneys are driven by compassion and justice when pursuing recovery for our clients.
Pursuing a wrongful death claim
People are often conflicted about bringing wrongful death claims. The thought of reopening wounds with legal action is overwhelming and may seem too painful. It may feel wrong to seek money for a loved one’s death. It may seem like there is no need to go through the effort of collecting a financial award because it is your loved one that you want back and no amount of money is going to help you with that.
On the other hand, in our experience with wrongful death claims that we have pursued on behalf of our grieving clients, we understand that there are some very good and cathartic reasons to pursue a wrongful death action including those as follows:
- Your loved one suffered a loss of life and there is arguably no greater injury than that. Your loved one cannot bring a claim to recover for his or her injuries and damages, but you can do that instead and it may give you a sense of peace and justice.
- The person who caused your loved one’s death deserves to be held responsible for what he took from your loved one, from you, and your family.
- You have suffered damages because of someone else’s bad acts such as loss of financial support, loss of emotional support, and funeral expenses. We know that financial compensation will not bring your loved one back, but financial security may help your family move forward and feel some financial relief.
- Most importantly, your loved one would want to see that you received the financial recovery that you deserve to help you and your family now and in the future.
Common types of wrongful death cases
Wrongful death cases arise when someone’s negligent or intentional conduct resulted in another person’s death. Below are wrongful death scenarios that we frequently see in our cases.
- An employee dies while working due to a third party’s negligence.
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents.
- Car, truck, bus, and train accidents.
- Violence including domestic assault, random acts, or targeted acts.
- Premises liability deaths due to dog attacks, fires, falls, falling items, and drownings.
- Defective products such as a motor vehicle’s defective brakes that lead to death.
- Medical malpractice resulting in death.