It may only be the beginning of the Fall season here in Pittsburgh, but it will not be long until the chill in the air becomes more than just a fleeting morning and evening experience. Winter is on the way, and Pittsburgh residents know that this is going to mean icy conditions. One thing that many individuals and businesses do not think about is preventing slip and fall accidents. However, if we can prevent these serious accidents from occurring, this will keep patrons safe and help businesses keep their costs down. Here, the Pittsburgh slip and fall attorneys at SMT Legal want to discuss how property owners prepare for a slippery winter season.
Property owners can be held liable – you need to prevent slip and fall incidents
Not every slip and fall incident that happens on a business owner’s property will be the fault of the business owner. However, liability may indeed fall back onto the business owner if:
- The owner or possessor of the property created the slip and fall condition.
- The owner or possessor of the property knew a slip and fall condition existed and failed to correct it.
- The slip and fall condition existed for such a length of time that the owner or possessor of the property should have discovered and corrected it prior to the incident.
Business owners and operators should take the following steps to prevent slip and fall incidents during the winter months:
- Regularly inspect certain areas: If you know of certain areas that are prone to be icy or slippery, you need to conduct regular inspections to check the conditions.
- Document hazard inspections: Keep a record of when a hazard does appear at your business, as well as the steps you took to eliminate the hazard.
- Display warning signs about hazards: If you know that a slippery or icy condition cannot be remedied immediately, place warning signs around the hazard to alert visitors until you can resolve the issue.
- Install a surveillance system: A camera system could help you monitor your business for potential slip and fall situations that may arise. A video camera system can also record potential incidents to help resolve claims.
The winter will inevitably bring about icy and snowy conditions at some point. Property owners and operators know this, and they must take steps to keep their guests safe.
Call us if you have been injured in a slip and fall accident
If you or somebody you care about has been injured in a slip and fall accident caused by the careless or negligent actions of a property owner, contact an attorney as soon as possible. At SMT Legal, we are dedicated to helping victims secure the compensation they are entitled to. This could include coverage of medical bills, lost income, general household out-of-pocket expenses, pain and suffering damages, and more. When you need a Pittsburgh slip and fall accident attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 1-888-976-2529.