The weather has been cooling down, as evidenced by the arctic blast that settled in just recently. While that may have only been the beginning of the cold, we know that it can get much worse around here. At SMT Legal, we know that you want your kids to be safe at the bus stop. This includes being safe from pedestrian crashes as well as from the weather. Today, our Pittsburgh pedestrian crash lawyers want to give you some tips for keeping your kids safe at the bus stop this winter.
How you can keep your kids safe
This winter, there are several steps you can take to ensure your kids are safe at the bus stop.
- Look at the weather before sending your kids to the bus stop. This way you know what clothing they should be dressed in.
- If the weather is below freezing, icy, or it is snowing, consider driving your child to school. We understand that this may not always be possible.
- Consider driving them to the bus stop and waiting. If you can spare a few extra moments, drive to the bus stop and let them wait in the warm car.
- Talk to other parents about waiting at the bus stop. If you are friendly with other parents of children at the same bus stop, consider asking them to do the same thing a few days a week. However, remind your kids not to get into a stranger’s car. Predators could take advantage of this cold weather and invite children to their vehicles, only to leave the scene with them.
- Experts say that kids should not wait outside for the bus in freezing weather for more than five minutes. Factor this into walking time. In many cases, the walk to the bus stop takes five minutes or more.
- Talk to local businesses and the bus office. If your child’s bus stop is near a local business, you could consider asking them to allow the kids to wait inside for the bus. This will need to be approved by the business owner and the bus office.
- Remind your kids about being aware of traffic. When it is cold, many kids bury their faces into their jackets and do not watch where they are walking. This could be dangerous. Many pedestrian accidents in Pittsburgh happen at school bus stops each year. While drivers should be paying attention to the roadway, we know that is not always the case.
Let us help you get through this today
If your child has been injured at the bus stop due to the actions of another driver, please contact an attorney. At SMT Legal, our pedestrian accident lawyers will look into this case and get to work so we can secure the compensation you deserve. When you need a Pittsburgh pedestrian accident attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 1-888-976-2529.