“Can I have the keys?”
As soon as you walk through the door, your teen asks for keys. Don’t get me wrong; it’s a proud moment for all parents when their teenager finally gets their driver’s license. But to actually give them the keys and watch them go off on their own… there are few things that scare parents more.
So how do you talk to them? You know the significant issues like drugs and alcohol. How do you make sure they listen?
Here at SMT Legal, we know it can be daunting to talk to our kids about driving safely. It’s hard getting past the know-it-all wall. Nevertheless, it is essential that you do. Year after year, the statistics add up for car accidents. Recently, the news has been plastered with numerous crashes all over the city. Some walk away with injuries, some not at all. Teaching your teen how to handle challenging situations and make the right calls behind the wheel can save lives.
If your teen is in an accident, the lawyers at SMT Legal are here for you. When you need a car accident attorney in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, call us to secure the compensation you and your family deserve.
Distracted Driving Kills Teens
Pennsylvania has seen a steady decrease in the number of car accidents for three years running. That’s great. Let’s keep the momentum going and focus on our teen drivers. As of the last reporting year,
- There were 990 fatal crashes
- 55,552 crashes caused injuries
Many of those accidents involved teens. So, what is the biggest threat to teen safety behind the wheel? Distracted driving.
According to NHTSA, the national statistics saw that distracted driving claimed the lives of 2,841 people. How that breaks down is:
- 1,730 drivers
- 605 passengers
- 400 pedestrians
- 77 bicyclists
Even if your teenage driver makes safe decisions behind the wheel, they could be a passenger when their friend decides to check a text message or turn up the music while driving. Distracted driving claims more lives than alcohol and drugs from the ages of 16-19.
So how do you talk to them?
Get the Point Across
Getting through to your teenage driver won’t happen in one conversation. Start talking early, before your teen is driving, so they understand the dangers on the road.
- If you’re driving to school and see a car run a light, point it out. Go ahead and open dialogue, so they begin to see what good drivers and bad drivers look like on the road. Teach them how to handle a car driving too close or one whose weaving in the lane.
- About to have the big drug and alcohol talk? Don’t just say, “never get into a car with a drunk friend,” and leave it at that. They need tools to handle social pressure. Explain how one drink is enough to cause impairment. Help them make some face-saving excuses so they won’t feel pressured into getting in the car. “You know, I’m not feeling well. Why don’t you guys go ahead? I’m gonna call my dad.”
- Be there for them when they need you. Have a codeword or phrase when they need you to pick them up.
- Talk about distracted driving.
- Utilize Bluetooth connectivity to save them from digging around for their cell phone.
- Have them keep their bags in the back seat, so they’re not tempted to pull out their cell phone and check a text message.
- Limit the number of people in the car. Only allow one passenger to limit distractions.
Have more than one conversation. Keep talking to your teens about safe driving.
We’re Here When You Need Us
All we can do as parents are keep talking and keep trusting our teens will make safe choices. Sometimes even when they listen, the other driver might not. If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident, call us at SMT Legal right now.
We have a dedicated and highly knowledgeable team waiting to help you take back control of your life. The lawyers at SMT Legal can fight to ensure you have the compensation you need to
- Cover your medical bills and future medical care costs
- Any loss of wages due to an inability to work
- Possible punitive damages, if they apply
Stop hesitating and wondering if you have a case. You need a car accident attorney in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. You need SMT Legal. Contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 1-888-976-2529.