When you or a loved one get on an ATV, we know that the last thing on your mind is that someone will get hurt. However, if the negligence of another person or company has caused an injury, you may need an ATV accident lawyer in Pittsburgh.
At SMT Legal, we are ready to step in and help. Our knowledgeable and experienced team will get to work investigating what happened so we can secure the compensation you need for all of your injury-related expenses.
What happened over the holiday weekend?
It seems like every holiday we are bringing you stories about ATV incidents. Over this recent Memorial Day Weekend, we learned that three people died in ATV crashes across Pennsylvania. The commonwealth is commonly near the top of the list among all states when it comes to ATV crash fatalities.
The latest incident was due to the driver losing control of the ATV and causing it to roll over. The previous two were caused by an ATV that struck a deer, causing the driver to lose control.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, there have been 702 ATV-related deaths in Pennsylvania from 1982-2014. More recently, there were 52 confirmed fatalities from 2015-2017.
- There are around 650 deaths and 100,000 injuries across the country each year involving ATV accidents.
Injuries from ATV crashes are usually severe because riders have little protection. Even when they wear a helmet, it is not uncommon for us to see the following:
- Spinal cord injuries (with possible paralysis)
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal organ damage/internal bleeding
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations or amputations
In many cases, these injuries happen on ATVs that have been rented from a company. Though these vehicles are safe when operated properly, all riders, owners, and trail operators need to ensure safety is a top priority. ATV owners must regularly inspect their vehicles to prevent any kind of failure occurring while the ATV is in use. Trail owners must also ensure that any potential hazards are taken care of.
- All ATV riders should be properly trained to use the vehicles before riding.
- Never ride an ATV without wearing the proper safety gear.
- Always be on the lookout for recalls or safety notices regarding the ATV you own or ride.
How we can help you now
ATVs can be a great way to get around off road, and they provide entertainment for many people. However, we know that crashes happen. At SMT Legal, we are ready to help if the negligence of an ATV owner or company has caused you or a loved one harm.
Let us investigate what happened and work to secure the compensation you need. This can include coverage for:
- Your medical expenses related to the incident
- Lost wages and benefits if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
- Punitive damages against those responsible