Pennsylvania takes drug charges seriously and so should you. There are a variety of charges that law enforcement and the prosecution can use against you, from simple possession to trafficking and it is vital that you understand how these charges can impact your life.
At the SMT Legal, we are ready to step in when you need a drug charges lawyer. Call us today so we can get to work on investigating your case and towards getting the charges against you reduced or dismissed.
What Kind Of Charges Are There?
There are various types of offenses that a person can be charged with, including:
- Simple possession of drugs
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
- Possession with intent to distribute (PWID)
- Manufacturing of a controlled substance
- Importing, distributing, or trafficking a controlled substance
- Prescription fraud
Please know that, while attitudes towards marijuana have relaxed across the country, you can still be charged with a crime when possessing the drug.
Other drugs that can lead to charges in Pennsylvania include:
- Crack cocaine
- Prescription drugs like Oxycontin, Adderall, Vicodin, etc.
Before we talk about the criminal penalties of drug charges, please know that there are other consequences. Even a simple possession charge can lead to a mark on your criminal record that can keep you from getting a job, obtaining a commercial driver’s license, getting a loan, or going to college.
We want to review just some of the penalties of certain drug charges:
- Possession of drug paraphernalia such as a bong, pipe, needles can lead to one year in prison and a $2,500 fine.
- A drug possession charge can lead to a person serving one year in jail and a $5,000 fine.
- Possession with intent to distribute is a serious crime and the penalties largely depend on which type of drugs a person is accused of distributing. Penalties range from three to 15 years in prison with fines ranging from $10,000 to $250,000.
*Charges of manufacturing and trafficking could lead to a person facing both state and federal charges. If a person is charged and found guilty of ANY drug crime in a school zone they will face a mandatory two to four years in prison.
What We Can Do To Help
The drug crime penalties are severe in Pennsylvania so please do not try to handle any drug charges on your own. At the SMT Legal, we understand this area of law and will work to investigate your entire case. This means looking at the evidence that is being used against you, how it was gathered, your past drug convictions, and another criminal history. We want to know if your charges are appropriate or overreach by the prosecution.