We understand that there are various reasons that a person can get their license suspended. We also understand that a suspended license can be detrimental to a person’s ability to support themselves and their family, keeping them from working or getting to the store.
At the SMA Law Group, we want to help when you need an Indiana County driving under license suspension attorney. These cases have real consequences, including major fines as well as jail time, so let us help you get through this.
This Is Serious
Many people do not think that getting caught driving with a suspended license is a big deal. Please understand that these charges can lead to jail time. What surprises many people is that there is a range of reasons that can cause a person to have their license suspended aside from driving under the influence charges, including:
- Refusing to submit to a breathalyzer or other BAC test
- Not having insurance on your vehicle
- Unpaid traffic tickets
- Failing to respond to tickets
- Failing to take driver exams
- Not paying restoration fees (for any of the above)
In many cases, we deal with people who had no idea their license had been suspended in the first place. If one spouse lets vehicle insurance lapse and does not tell their partner, the partner could end up with a suspended license and not know until they are pulled over for a separate violation.
It is illegal to drive under a suspended license and the penalties vary:
- Driving with a suspended license is a summary offense (not a misdemeanor or felony) and can result in a $200 fine.
- Driving while under DUI suspension can result in 60-90 days in jail and a $500 fine.
- Driving while drunk and also being under license suspension can result in 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine.
Please note that these second and third offenses can face longer jail time and higher monetary penalties.
Your attorney will want to look at the entirety of your case.
- Why was your license suspended in the first place?
- Were you, or are you still, under financial hardships that kept you from paying restitution?
- What are your past driving convictions?
- What does the evidence against you look like?
There are options available to those who depend on having a license to support themselves and their families.
Let Us Help Today
If you are facing a license suspension or have been charged with driving while having your licenses suspended, you need to seek help from a qualified and experienced attorney as soon as possible. At the SMA Law Group, our qualified and experienced team will work to investigate all aspects of your case, including the reasons for license suspension in the first place.