What do you think about when you see a dog? Most people never think that a dog bite or attack will occur, but we know that they do happen. In fact, you may be surprised at the frequency that they occur. Today, we want to talk about dog bites in Pennsylvania and what to do if you or a loved one are bitten.
At the SMT Legal, our knowledgeable and experienced team is ready to help when you need a Pittsburgh dog attack attorney. Let us get to work today on securing the compensation you deserve.
What We Know
We know that there are around 90 million dogs in the US household. What you may not know is that there are around 4.5 million dog bites in the US each year. The CDC tells us that one out of every five bites require medical attention, meaning that around 900,000 people seek medical treatment due to these bites.
It is not uncommon for us to see the following injuries as a result of dog bites:
- Severe soft tissue damage
- Muscle and tendon damage
- Artery and vein damage
- Significant disfigurement
In many cases, dog bites occur due to the negligence of a dog’s owner. This can include allowing a dog off of their leash or not properly securing them on their premises.
We know that Pennsylvania saw the sixth most dog bites in the nation last year. In Pennsylvania, anyone who owns a dog with a history of biting or other vicious behavior must pay a $500 yearly fee, keep the dog kenneled and muzzled, and must have liability insurance of at least $50,000.
What If You Are Bitten?
Here are some basic steps you can take if you or a loved one are attacked or bitten by a dog:
- Seek medical treatment for any injuries, no matter how minor. Even a minor dog bite can get infected and cause major complications.
- Notify law enforcement or animal control so they can document the incident and take appropriate measures.
- Document the scene and the injuries with photographs and video evidence if possible. This evidence will help with insurance claims or personal injury lawsuits.
- Follow up with any doctor’s visits or treatments ordered by your doctor.
Let Us Help You
If you or a loved one have been injured by a dog and you believe that the dog’s owner is to blame, please seek legal assistance immediately. At the SMT Legal, our knowledgeable and experienced team is ready to get to work. We will investigate your case and work to secure the compensation you deserve. This can include:
- Your medical expenses related to the incident
- Lost income and benefits if you are unable to work
- Pain and suffering/loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Punitive damages against the dog’s owner