Today, we want to bring you a story a little bit out of our coverage area because it highlights the dangers that many people do not consider when it comes to dogs. A recent dog attack in Wattsburg, Pennsylvania severely injured a child, landing him in the hospital.
At the SMT Legal, we are ready to step in if you or a loved one have been injured in a dog attack. We understand these types of cases and are ready to work on securing the compensation you need for all of your injury-related expenses. When you need a Pittsburgh dog bite attorney, call us today.
What Can Happen?
In the story mentioned above, a 5-year-old boy was bitten by a neighbor’s dog and suffered from a serious head injury. He was transported to Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh after the incident. We do know that the dog did not have up-to-date rabies shots and that it was quarantined voluntarily by the owner at a local animal shelter.
You probably see dogs everywhere you go in and around Pittsburgh. There are around 90 million dogs as pets in the US. What may surprise you is the number of bites that occur each year.
- There are over 4.7 million dog bites reported each year.
- Around 800,000 of those bites require medical attention.
Dog bite and dog attacks can be devastating. Dogs have extremely powerful jaws that can inflict serious soft tissue, vein, artery, and ligament damage. Many attacks require surgery to repair the damage. In some cases, plastic surgery is required to restore functionality and appearance to the affected area.
- Many dog bite and attack victims are left with permanent visible damage as well as emotional and psychological problems.
- Children and the elderly are at more risk of big bite injuries due to their inability to get away from the situation or defend themselves.
Dog owners are often at fault when it comes to bites and attacks. If they fail to secure their pet on their property and the dog gets out, they could be held liable for any injuries that occur. Likewise, pet owners should always follow leash laws to prevent their dogs from causing harm to others. If a dog is known to be aggressive, it should not be allowed to be around other people or pets.
What We Can Do To Help
We know that you may have many questions in the aftermath of a dog attack that injures you or a loved one. At the SMT Legal, you can count on our knowledgeable and experienced team to help you get the answers you need. We will work tirelessly to secure compensation for the following:
- Coverage of your medical bills
- Compensation for lost income if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against a dog’s owner