There are numerous types of vehicles hitting the roads of Butler County every day. From roaring garbage trucks to small sedans, Butler has it all. Unfortunately, many pedestrians find themselves victims of accidents and crash in this western Pennsylvania county. Driver negligence and carelessness can sometimes lead to the injury of an individual walking down the road. There are numerous cases of pedestrian accidents across Butler County, and that’s why SMT legal is here to provide all of your pedestrian accident attorney needs.
Pedestrian accidents by the numbers
Throughout the United States of America, there are numerous pedestrians being struck, injured, and killed every single day. This harrowing reality is supported by numbers provided to the public by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- In the latest reporting year, one person is struck and killed by a moving vehicle every 88 minutes in the United States.
- This averages out to a total of 5,977 killed pedestrians each year.
- Including some of those killed, an estimated 137,000 pedestrians are treated in an emergency room for injuries sustained after being hit by an automobile.
- A pedestrian is 1.5 times more likely to be killed in a car accident than a passenger of the car.
- 20% of all pedestrian deaths were over the age of 65.
- Within the same age group, their combined pedestrian injury statistics made up 10% of all pedestrian injuries.
- 1 in 5 victims of a car accident under the age of 15 years old were pedestrians in the latest reporting year.
Families are more cautious than ever when allowing their children and loved ones to go out on the road. Concerns of technological distractions, substance abuse, and other reasons cause people to rethink the risks they may be placed on their livelihoods.
Is the situation improving?
Nationwide, there is indication that in light of the recent global COVID-19 pandemic that the prevalence of drunk driving has risen. As shown, driving under the influence is one of the most dangerous acts that one can do concerning the safety of pedestrians. It can be additionally noted that with the reopening of Butler County and Pennsylvania establishments that serve alcohol, that these numbers are still on the rise. With more reckless drivers comes more pedestrian deaths and injuries.
We believe in accessibility to justice
As previously noted, walking the street as a pedestrian in the United States and Pennsylvania can be a dangerous endeavor. Serious injuries and even death can come about from reckless drivers who lack concern for you and your family, putting those you love most at risk of serious harm. The courts of Pennsylvania take this matter very seriously, and a Butler County pedestrian accident attorney is therefore enabled to fight for financial compensation.
Pedestrian accidents can be extremely serious and oftentimes fatal, but that’s why SMT Legal believes in the importance of accessibility of the legal system and wants to offer you assistance. If you are seeking a lawyer for a pedestrian accident case in or around Butler County, please consider reaching out 24/7 at 412-819-2686 or 1-888-976-2529 or contact us by clicking here to schedule a free case evaluation.