Getting into a car accident can change your life, and not for the better. Not only do you have to deal with the emotional trauma of the incident, but there’s also property damage and the physical injuries caused by the accident. Recovery takes time and can cost a lot of money. Talking to an insurance company alone can lead to them rejecting your claim or offering you a settlement worth much less than you deserve. How will you pay your bills? A skilled car accident lawyer at SMT Legal can help.
Our Pennsylvania lawyers understand the frustration and stress you’re going through. We’ll help you win the compensation you need to pay your bills, regain your health, and put this traumatic experience behind you. We have years of experience in car accident litigation, giving us the ability to determine who is responsible for the accident, negotiate with the insurance company, and take the liable party to court if needed.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Pennsylvania Car Accidents?
The latest numbers from the National Traffic Safety Administration show that car accidents in the United States continue to rise. There were 27,650 fatal car accidents in the first nine months of 2017, a slight increase from the same time period in 2016. The number of motor vehicle accident fatalities in 2016 was higher than any year since 2008.
There were 1,188 fatal passenger vehicle crashes in Pennsylvania in 2016. Fifty-four percent of these involved a single-vehicle. In 2016, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation reported that 355 reportable traffic accidents occur each day. Out of these crashes, 277 people become injured and three people are killed.
So, what are the causes of these fatalities? These are the most common factors:
- Mechanical problems: Sometimes accidents are caused by a defect in your vehicle, even if it’s well cared for.
- Human error: Driver mistakes cause the majority of car crashes. These include speeding, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and texting.
- Inclement weather: Winter in Pennsylvania means snow and ice on the roadway, causing slippery driving conditions.
- Roadway conditions: Poor road conditions can wreak havoc on your vehicle and cause accidents.
What Should You Do After a Motor Vehicle Accident?
Are you looking for advice immediately following a car accident? Our Butler County car accident attorneys offer the first steps you should take:
- Call emergency services and report the accident
- Don’t blame anyone or admit fault to police or witnesses
- Exchange contact and insurance information with people at the scene
- Note the details of the accident
- Seek medical treatment
- Refuse to give a statement to the insurance companies
- Call an experienced car accident lawyer
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer?
By hiring an experienced motor vehicle accident attorney, you can protect your legal rights and get the most out of your case. The lawyers at SMT Legal handle every aspect of your case from collecting evidence to filling out confusing paperwork and filing a claim. We’ll help you recover money for medical bills and lost wages, and speak to insurance companies on your behalf.