Whether you enjoy heading out on the water for some recreational activity or you work on the waterways around the county, the last thing you expect to have to deal with is an injury. However, there are times when the negligence of another person, company, or agency can cause us harm.
At SMT Legal, we want to help if you have sustained an injury on the waterways that was caused by another person. Our knowledgeable and experienced team will work to investigate your case so we can secure the compensation you deserve for all of your incident-related expenses. If you need an experienced boat and maritime accident lawyer, call us today.
How These Accidents Occur
The only time we hear about accidents on the waterways is when something tragic happens. Maybe it is a recreational outing that ended with multiple deaths or an explosion due to industrial activity on the water. However, there are many other boating accidents that occur in which people are not killed but severely injured that we never hear about.
On The Water For Leisure
We have plenty of waterways in and around Butler County and surrounding areas where people go to have some fun and leisure time. Maybe the family is heading out for some fishing or some watersports for the day. Recreational boating is fun as long as proper safety procedures are taken. If a commercial water vessel is being used, it is important that the boat’s owner, captain, and other employees ensure their patrons are safe. This means that:
- The boat needs to be well maintained
- Maritime laws and regulations must be followed
- Life jackets need to be available and guests need to be shown how to use them
- Weather conditions must be monitored and risks should not be taken in inclement weather
Working On The Water
Many people make a living on the water. Sometimes they even live on various watercraft for extended periods of time. Because of this, there are extra laws that protect workers that extend beyond the regular workers’ compensation insurance.
- The Jones Act was created to protect people who work on water vessels by ensuring they are compensated for injuries they incur while performing their duties.
- The Longshore Workers’ Compensation Act provides for the payment of compensation, medical care, and services for those disabled in the course of their duties while working on a water vessel.
What We Can Do
There are few things scarier than a boating accident that causes injuries. It is the last thing you expect. However, you need to know where to turn if it has happened to you. At SMT Legal, we are ready to help. Our team wants to make sure you get the compensation you deserve. This can include:
- Coverage for your medical expenses
- Pain and suffering damages
- Lost income if you are unable to work
- Punitive damages