Pennsylvania’s drug overdose rate is among the highest in the country. Most overdose deaths are related to opioid abuse. Opioids are street drugs and prescription pain medicines including Oxycontin and Vicodin. We know these drugs are dangerous, but there are many other pharmaceuticals prescribed by doctors that end up being recalled due to dangerous side effects and complications as well.
When you, an unborn child, or a loved one sustains injuries due to a dangerous pharmaceutical prescribed by your doctor, you may not know who is to blame or what you should do. The most helpful thing you can do for you and your family is to contact a Beaver County pharmaceutical attorney at Stewart, Murray, and Associates Law Group. Our pharmaceutical attorneys understand that dangerous, injury causing pharmaceuticals are serious and side effects may be long-term or permanent, and they want to see that the appropriate parties are held accountable and that you are fully compensated for your injuries and damages.
Various parties could be liable for your dangerous drug injuries including those as follows:
- The drug manufacturer may be liable for negligent or intentional conduct including inadequate research and testing or attempting to hide drug dangers and complications.
- A pharmacist may be liable if you receive the wrong medicine or incorrect dosage.
- A physician may be liable if he did not discuss the drug’s dangerous side effects or any alternative remedies available to you. He or she may also be liable for prescribing medicine that is not appropriate for your condition or medicine that should not be prescribed to you due to your medical history or that should not be combined with other medicines you are taking.
You can visit the U.S. Food and Drug Administration website anytime to view dangerous drugs currently being recalled. Often injuries have occurred before recalls have been made or patients are not aware of the recalls and continue taking the injury causing pharmaceuticals. In general, recalls do not absolve liability so finding out a drug that caused your injuries had previously been recalled does not affect a dangerous drug case that you may have. Drug types that have been found to have dangerous side effects include the following:
- Pain medicines, especially opioids which are highly addictive
- Migraine drugs linked to birth defects
- Diabetes drugs linked to cancer and organ damage
- Drugs containing and affecting hormones such as birth control pills and testosterone can cause blood clots and strokes among other problems
- Antidepressants linked to birth defects and other side effects
- Sleeping aids causing parasomnia and other impairments and side effects