Pedestrian accidents are unfortunately fairly common and can be pretty serious. A simple stroll into a shop for a morning coffee can quickly turn deadly when a distracted driver enters the parking lot. There are seemingly endless possibilities for pedestrians to suffer at the hands of a negligent driver behind the wheel. In Beaver County and beyond, this is no uncommon occurrence.
SMT Legal is an experienced pedestrian accident legal firm operating in Beaver County, Pennsylvania. At SMT, our goal is to explain how to avoid a pedestrian accident, what to do in the case that you are the victim of one, and how one of our pedestrian accident attorneys can come to your rescue in case you are in need of one.
How to avoid being involved in a pedestrian accident
There are some ways that you can avoid being struck by a moving vehicle as a pedestrian. By taking some of these steps, you can ensure a better chance of survival and sustaining lesser injuries for you and your family:
- Avoiding alcohol consumption: 47% of all accidents resulting in the death of a pedestrian included alcohol consumption by at least one of the parties. By avoiding excessive substance use, you may have faster reaction times in the case of a veering vehicle.
- Taking extra nighttime measures: By wearing reflective material and only embarking on your journey with a flashlight, you can better beat the odds of being the victim of a drunk driver late at night – when driving under the influence is more common.
- Minimizing distractions: By decreasing the volume of your music or avoiding earbuds altogether, you may be better able to tell when a car is approaching you from the rear.
- Steering clear of jaywalking: Utilizing proper crosswalks is essential for safety. When your family has a more clear judgment of when to cross the street, and alert drivers are aware of an incoming crosswalk, one may avoid a collision.
- Walking on sidewalks designated for pedestrian use: By not walking directly on the road, one can better ensure that they will not come into contact with a car. Additionally, walking on the sidewalk against traffic is a better safety measure so that you are more able to react in the case of an out-of-control vehicle. If a sidewalk is not available, reconsider taking to the street or utilize the outermost extremity of the shoulder to get to your destination.
Your go-to stop for all your legal needs
There are only so many preventative measures that one can take as a pedestrian on the roadways of western Pennsylvania. As a pedestrian, we can only ensure that our chances of being involved in a pedestrian accident are as low as possible – but at the end of the day, we are still at the mercy of vehicle operators around us.
The most important step of all when being involved in an accident is ensuring that you have a Beaver County pedestrian accident attorney ready to help you in any way possible. Please consider reaching out to one of our lawyers at SMT Legal with any concerns or questions surrounding a pedestrian case. You can do so by calling us at 412-819-2686, 1-888-976-2529, or by sending us a message through a contact form on our website.