Vehicle accidents happen in various ways in and around Pittsburgh. In many cases, car accidents are caused by collisions that have already occurred. At the SMA Law Group, we help clients who have been involved and serious accidents. Here, our Pittsburgh motorcycle accident attorneys want to discuss what you can do if you are in an accident that was caused by a motorcycle incident that already occurred.
How could this happen?
It is not uncommon to see vehicle accidents in and around the Pittsburgh area. During the latest reporting year, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation says that there were 128,420 total vehicle accidents. We also know that there were 2,714 total motorcycle crashes.
It is entirely within the realm of possibility that you could get into a collision after a crash involving a motorcycle has already occurred. Motorcyclists are just as likely as anybody else on the roadway to be involved in and cause traffic accidents. If you happen to be driving around a motorcyclist that causes a traffic collision around you, your vehicle could end up being involved in the incident as well.
Who would be liable in this case?
One of the most important aspects of receiving compensation in the aftermath of an accident is determining liability. If you were involved in a traffic collision due to another motorcycle crash that has already happened, you should follow these steps:
- Seek medical care: You need to ensure that you are properly evaluated by a medical professional who can diagnose all of your crash-related injuries and develop a treatment plan.
- Document the scene: If possible while at the scene, use a camera or your smartphone to take pictures of everything. This includes any causes of the crash, all vehicles involved, traffic conditions, weather conditions, any injuries, and more.
- Get eyewitness contact information: If there were any witnesses to the incident, get their names and contact information. Their testimony could be helpful in an insurance settlement process or during a personal injury lawsuit.
- Get the police report: Ask the police who respond to the scene how to obtain a copy of the accident report. This report should have preliminary investigation information and who the police believed to be at fault for the incident.
- Talk to an attorney: Speak to a qualified Pittsburgh car accident attorney as soon as possible. Your attorney will be your advocate throughout this process and work to secure the compensation you deserve.
We can help you secure the compensation you need
If you or somebody you care about has been injured in a crash that was caused by a motorcycle accident that already occurred, seek legal assistance today. At the SMA Law Group, we have the experience you need to handle any type of vehicle crash. Our goal is to secure the following:
- All of your medical expenses related to the crash
- Lost income if you cannot work while you recover
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against the other parties