When most people see a dog, they do not think about getting injured due to a bite. However, dog bite injuries in the United States are common and can lead to major medical expenses. If you or somebody you care about has been injured due to a dog bite, you may be entitled to compensation. The team at the SMA Law Group wants to discuss the role a Pittsburgh personal injury lawyer will have in a dog bite case.
Dog bites can cause serious injuries and expenses
One of the most common claims made against homeowner’s insurance policies in this country are dog bite claims. There are approximately 4.5 million dog bite incidents each year in the US. While not all of these bites are serious, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that about one out of every five dog bite victims requires medical attention at the hospital or an emergency center. Dog bite injuries can be serious, often resulting in:
- Severe soft tissue damages
- Severed arteries, tendons, ligaments, and veins,
- Finger amputations
- Severe disfigurement
A personal injury attorney is often required for a Pittsburgh dog bite victim to receive the compensation they are entitled to. While you may only think an attorney is required if a lawsuit is filed, that is not the case. By securing an attorney soon after you sustain a dog bite, you can help to ensure you receive maximum compensation through an insurance settlement.
The job of a Pittsburgh dog bite attorney is multifaceted. Your attorney will:
- Obtain all evidence related to the dog bite incident. This can include any video or photo surveillance, animal control reports, eyewitness statements, anymore.
- Ensure that you are evaluated by a trusted medical professional who can properly assess your injuries and calculate your total damages.
- Negotiate with the dog owner’s insurance carrier to ensure that you receive a fair settlement.
Your attorney will understand any tactics that will be used by the insurance company to lower the amount of money they have to pay in a settlement. If the other party refuses to offer a fair settlement, your Pittsburgh dog bite lawyer will no hesitate to file a lawsuit on your behalf and take your case to trial.
Let us help you secure the compensation you need
If you or somebody you care about has been injured due to a dog bite, you may need to seek legal assistance. At the SMA Law Group, our qualified and experienced team will thoroughly investigate what happened and work to secure any compensation you are entitled to. This can include:
- Coverage of medical expenses related to the dog bite
- Any lost income if you miss work
- Coverage of necessary reconstructive procedures
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against the dog owner