If you have lost a loved one due to the careless, negligent, or intentional actions of someone else, you need to seek legal assistance as soon as possible. This is an incredibly difficult period for you and your family, and you may be entitled to compensation. A Pittsburgh wrongful death lawyer will almost certainly be required in order to help you secure the compensation you need. At the SMA Law Group, we are ready to help you through this.
Wrongful death cases can become incredibly complex
Thankfully, most people never have to be involved with a wrongful death case. However, for those that do have to initiate a wrongful death claim because they have lost a loved one, they will quickly learn that this can be a complex process. A Pittsburgh wrongful death lawyer will be an invaluable resource for your case. Your attorney will be responsible for:
- Understanding all deadlines that pertain to a wrongful death claim, including the state statute of limitations and court filing deadlines.
- Obtaining all evidence related to the incident that caused your loved one’s death. This can include photo and video surveillance from the incident, eyewitness statements, incident and police reports, and more.
- Working with the court system to obtain all safety records related to the entities or individuals involved, including company records, driving records, and more.
- Securing expert economic and medical witnesses to evaluate the case and properly assign a monetary value to the damages you have incurred.
- Handle all communications with other parties involved, including the defendant, their legal team, and their insurer.
- Negotiate a settlement on your behalf that is fair and covers all of your expenses. If the defendant refuses to offer a fair settlement, your attorney will be ready to take your case to trial.
Many families who experienced the sudden loss of a loved one struggle with finances as they work to establish a new normal in their lives. The good news is that most Pittsburgh wrongful death attorneys take these cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that you will owe no up-front or out-of-pocket costs for your case and will only pay legal fees after your attorney secures the compensation you are entitled to.
We will work to secure the compensation you need
If you have lost a loved one due to the careless or negligent actions of another person or entity, seek legal assistance as soon as possible. These cases can become incredibly complex, and the SMA Law Group is ready to thoroughly investigate your case in order to secure the compensation you deserve. This can include:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Cost of pre-death medical care
- Mental anguish damages
- Loss of consortium or companionship damages
- Loss of future income and benefits of the deceased
- Possible punitive damages against those responsible