The aftermath of a car accident can be incredibly confusing. After the incident occurs, there will be many things happening at once. One of the most important things that can help you receive the settlement you deserve is statements from witnesses to the crash. At the SMA Law Group, we want to discuss the questions that you and your Pittsburgh auto accident attorney can ask witnesses in the aftermath of a crash.
What questions should you ask eyewitnesses to the crash?
The last thing you were probably thinking about after a collision occurs is that you need to speak to the people who saw it happen. However, eyewitnesses can provide valuable information that will help ensure you receive maximum compensation through a settlement or a jury verdict. If your injuries or the incident does not allow for you to have much time with any eyewitnesses, you should still get the names and contact information of anyone who saw what happened so you or your attorney can contact them at a later date.
Some questions that witnesses to the crash may be asked include the following:
- In your own words, how did the accident occur?
- When did you first realize did the crash occurred or was about to occur?
- From your perspective, how did the collision occur?
- Could do go into detail about how the crash occurred?
- Who was with you when the crash occurred?
- How far were you from the crash?
- What did you do after the crash?
- Did you notice any injuries after the crash?
- Did you see anyone else who may have been a witness to the crash?
- What were the traffic conditions, and what was the weather like when the crash occurred?
- What did the drivers and passengers do right after the crash occurred?
- Did you hear anything the other driver said relating to what caused the crash?
It is important to understand that the same witnesses that you and your attorney question to bolster your case will also be questioned by the other driver’s insurance carrier or attorney. What you may consider credible eyewitness testimony may be called into question by the other side in an attempt to lower the settlement amount they have to pay you.
Let us help you secure compensation
If you or somebody you care about has been injured in a car accident caused by another driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. At the SMA Law Group, our skilled and experienced team will thoroughly investigate your crash and work to secure the following:
- Coverage of your medical bills related to the crash
- Lost income and benefits if you cannot work while recovering
- Mental anguish damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against a grossly negligent driver