It’s devastating to lose someone you love under any circumstances, but knowing your loved one’s death was preventable or caused by someone else’s negligence is particularly heart-wrenching. Legal action may not be the first thing on your mind as you’re grieving and making funeral plans, but you may be eligible for compensation that can help pay those final resting costs. Let us help you understand your rights.
We know that no amount of money can make up for the loss of a spouse or beloved family member. However, it can help you alleviate financial burdens and provide security for your future. It can also bring you peace of mind to know that the party responsible for your loss has been brought to justice.
The wrongful death lawyers at SMT Legal have years of experience fighting for families who have lost a loved one due to someone else’s wrongful action. Call us today at 1-888-976-2529 or fill out our online contact form for a free case evaluation. We won’t charge you a penny for our services unless we win your case.
What Rights Do You Have as a Relative?
As the legal guardian, grandparent, parent, child, or spouse of the deceased, you may be entitled to file a wrongful death claim. If you win, you could receive compensation for:
- Funeral and medical costs
- Loss of benefits and earning potential of the deceased
- Lost companionship or care
- Lost security for dependents of the deceased
- Punitive Damages
- Pain and suffering
What Are Some Common Causes of Wrongful Death?
Wrongful death claims must be filed by a family member of the deceased, whether that’s a parent, child, or spouse. Some common causes of wrongful death lawsuits are:
- Medical Malpractice – Negligence in medical care is a leading cause of wrongful death.
- Work-related Injuries – Studies by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration show that approximately 4,400 workplace fatalities take place every year.
- Bus Accidents – Between 200 and 300 fatal bus crashes occur every year. While they may be rare, bus accidents are particularly devastating due to the number of passengers.
- Truck Accidents – Accidents involving large trucks kill approximately 3,600 people each year.
Why Should You Hire an Allegheny County Wrongful Death Attorney?
A death in the family can lead to legal aftermath that you shouldn’t navigate alone. Let SMT Legal help you deal with the insurance companies, fill out any paperwork, and answer your questions. We won’t collect a fee unless we recover compensation for you. The initial consultation is free and you will never owe us anything upfront or out of pocket. This means there is absolutely no risk in calling to talk to an attorney about your situation.